We live in an increasingly interconnected and interdependent world. Globalization touches every part of our lives, from the products we buy to the food we eat to the ways we communicate with one another. Globalization is also tied to some of the other biggest issues we face in the modern era, including climate change, trade, and terrorism.
Being intertwined with countries and markets all over the world has both benefits and downsides, so globalization has both proponents and detractors. No matter which side you’re on, globalization is simply a reality of modern life; therefore, it’s important to understand how it affects us and the choices we make.
In this module, we will
- follow the global supply chain that makes it possible to make common products more quickly and more cheaply,
- learn what changes led to the global expansion of this supply chain,
- get to know the international institutions and organizations that govern issues of global concern,
- investigate how seemingly unrelated events around the world can coalesce to cause problems at home,
- look at how globalization has created new markets for everything from avocados to Hollywood movies, and
- explore the technological innovations that have made it easier for people all over the world to connect with one another.