What Is Globalization?
In this educational video, explore examples of globalization to
understand the benefits and challenges of our increasingly interconnected world.
What are the effects of globalization?
We live in an increasingly interconnected and interdependent world. The growing interdependence of the world’s economies, cultures and populations—or "globalization"—touches every part of our lives, from the products we buy to the food we eat to the ways we communicate with one another. Globalization is also tied to some of the other biggest issues we face in the modern era, including climate change, trade, terrorism, and the spread of deadly diseases.
The intertwining of countries and markets all over the world has both benefits and downsides, so policies that support integration have both proponents and detractors. No matter which side you’re on, globalization is simply a reality of modern life; therefore, it’s important to understand how it affects us and the choices we make.
In this module, we will
- learn about the economic impacts of globalization and follow the global supply chain supporting the quicker and cheaper production of goods,
- explore the economic and political changes that have supported to the global expansion of this supply chain,
- get to know the international institutions and organizations that govern issues of global concern,
- investigate how seemingly unrelated events around the world can coalesce to cause problems at home,
- look at how globalization has created new markets for everything from avocados to Hollywood movies, and
- explore the technological innovations that have made it easier for people all over the world to connect with one another.